Monday, August 18, 2014

Blog Hoppin' ~ Day 1

I'm SOOOO excited to be linking up with Blog Hoppin' for their 2014 Back-to-School HOP!

http://imbloghoppin.blogspot.com/2014/08/are-you-ready-for-back-to-school.html

So today, Day 1, is all about the WHO!  I figured I would give you some history on how I got to be where I am today.  Hope I don't bore ya :)

I decided after having my two children that I wanted to go back to school to become a teacher.  I loved teaching my kids new things each day, and the process that went into deciding what to teach and how to teach it.  Luckily, I was young when I had my kids so at the ripe old age of 25, after my son was born, I decided to jump head first into the college life.  It took what seemed like FOR-E-VA to finish my degree but I did so in 2005.  

My first job immediately after was teaching 1st grade in an urban school setting.  It was a great experience because I was able to co-teach with someone who became my life-long friend.  It was the first year for both of us and I have to say, in looking back, we did a pretty darn-good job!  We were given the "dumping" room.....you know, when all the teachers in the grade below try to piss off one particular teacher, so they give her all the problem students?  YUP, that was my first year of teaching.  By the end of that year, 18 out of 31 of my students had an IEP!!!!  My administrator joked with me that he was going to label the chair with my name since I attended so many initial IEP meetings that year.  My co-worker was amazing!!!  She is a natural-born teacher, through and through.  We really worked so well, and so hard, together that year that I will always look back with great pride at what we accomplished!

Unfortunately, there were MAJOR budget cuts in that district and I was laid off.  I again was incredibly lucky to land where I am today.  I interviewed for a suburban district near my home and was hired on a one-year contract.  The assignment I was given was 1/2 day Kindergarten.  Great you say????  It was great, except I taught morning Kindergarten in one school then had to drive to another to teach afternoon Kindergarten.  I maintained two full classrooms, had 48 students total and was completely exhausted at the end of that year!  But my current principal hired me permanently after that year so I must have done something right.....or she took pity on me :)

I taught Kindergarten for the last 4 years and just moved to 5th grade Special Education.  I cannot even begin to tell you how excited I am.  I really feel like this is going to be a great fit for my style of teaching.  

My teaching philosophy is for learning to be as FUN as I can possibly make it.  I want my kids to develop a true love of learning.  Given their experiences, I think there may be some initial resistance but I'm certainly up for the challenge.  I can't wait to get started!!!

Today, my kids are 19 (daughter) and 16 (son) and they are my WORLD!  I was married last summer to my best friend!  I am so lucky to have found him and have him be in my life.

So, that's me in a nut-shell!  Hello.....are you still awake????

Well don't forget to "HOP" back over to Blog Hoppin' to read about some other awesome bloggers.  Also, don't forget to come back here tomorrow for Day 2!  You're going to want to see that one!

While you're here, please make sure to "follow" my page to receive exclusive, blog-only special offers and discounts!  Thanks so much for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you in the blog hop! I think I have seen you in the tpt forums too :) I am a special education teacher as well and moving to kinder this year! I feel for you with the two classes and having so many students. Now that we have moved to full day it is better and easier to connect with families since there are half as many. Are you guys full day kinder? Happy new school year and good luck with your new position!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alex! We did move to full-day Kinder which was soooo much better! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete